Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Centennial for Boy Scouts of America


"Mom, do we have to get up?," were the first words my husband and I heard this morning as we rousted our four boys out of bed on their "sleep-in day" to prepare for a historic visit to the capitol. One mug of coffee, four chocolate Zone bars, six warm jackets and a loaded wagon later, we were off to the Report to State and Scout Parade commemorating the 100th Year Anniversary of Scouting.

At 7:30am, we crested the Congress Street bridge where we became part of a huge crowd making last minute adjustments to floats which were three deep and the entire length of the bridge. For the non-Austinite, this is the famous "bat bridge" that the Mexican free-tail bats emerge from on their nightly mosquito hunt. To see the pink granite capitol from the center of a roped-off Congress Street was a sight to behold. In keeping with one of the scout tenents to help other people, when our eldest son could not locate his Boy Scout Troop, Pack 280 (the cub pack) welcomed him on board their float. Our younger cub proudly took his spot on a hay bale in the back of the truck reserved for his Pack 101 of Dripping Springs, Texas.

Earlier this week, I had picked up the book On My Honor, written by Governor Perry. I'm really glad I had this book with me today. We read some of it on the way down and it was fortuitous that I got to know our Governor a little more in reading about his experiences in Scouting. This event ended up not only being a great day for scouts but also validated why it is we came to Texas from California in the first place. (I'll get to that a little bit later!)

The parade was a sea of fidgeting boys with crooked lines, untucked shirts, flanking paper maché and plastic floats. The streets brimmed with enthusiasm as the boys eagerly waved with the same enthusiasm to a spotted family member and supportive stranger alike. There were a couple of outstanding floats—namely the Space Shuttle and the winding bicycle in the shape of a snake, which followed the flapping Austin Bat float! (Keep Austin Weird!) The boys chanted, clapped, and a couple of floats had some pretty accomplished musicians as the parade rolled down the street. We even met a 1942 Eagle Scout who came out to see the festivities and got to shake his hand. Today's event was an unashamed slice of Americana that you rarely see anymore.

Perhaps one of the most interesting things this was the lack of publicity given to this event. It wasn't discussed on KVUE news as we prepared to leave. And it wasn't mentioned on 98.9, Austin's talk radio station either. There was no professional announcer during the event. There were no radio stations or television crews that we saw—unless of course they came earlier than we did. There were still photographers everywhere though lining the street. The Austin American Statesman was, in fact, ON the parade route. It will be interesting to see where the story appears in tomorrow's newspaper. If you detect sarcasm, you're right! In Austin, I doubt the boy scouts will make the front page.

This brings me to Governor Perry's book. I brought it with me in the oft chance that I might get to meet the Governor and have it signed. That didn't happen. However, we had the wonderful opportunity to sit in the House of Representatives and view the entire Report to State ceremony with Governor Perry in attendance. 19 Councils, each that represent a number of counties, spoke addressed the state to account for the impact that the scouts have on local communities all across the state. Far from just a statistical report, there were stories of bravery, life saving, fighting hunger, and even repairing areas damaged by Hurricane Ike. The BSA isn't just some club, it's an organization that truly seeks to teach young boys to become men and to make their country a better place to live in. To watch these young boys and young woman (who represented a council near El Paso) step up to the podium and address the podium was humbling.

Perhaps most impressive, though, was Governor Perry himself. I knew nothing of this man when we moved to Texas. What I did know was this. We CAME to Texas because of a California that had become unrecognizable. Two years after moving here, California went bankrupt but many still living there just can't (or won't) see it and keep electing people who are ruining the state. When people say that Texas is the new California, we silently whisper "we hope not." Texas is a state that is working. Texas doesn't have potholes, doesn't tax your income, supports home-schoolers (in fact it is the friendliest home school state in the union), is attracting more and more companies with its business friendly laws and if you can find litter on the streets here, let me know. Thanks to the campaign "Don't Mess with Texas" started by the legendary advertising firm GSD&M, which is right across from the flagship Whole Foods in downtown Austin, this city is vibrant, hopeful, friendly and FREE.

This brings me back to Governor Perry's book. I did not know that Governor Perry was an Eagle Scout. He achieved this rank at the age of 14. His son, Griffin, is an Eagle Scout as well. Perry is the longest serving Governor in Texas, now running for another term. He wrote this book basically in defense of scouting, as it has been under attack since 1976. I remember being 11 years old and hearing that a girl wanted to join the "Boy Scouts." I'm proof that the left was getting to me. Back then, I said "yeah, why not?" Why should there be any club eliminating girls?" It led to boys football teams having the same ridiculous discrimination suits and we all know how it has manifested. Here we are. Nanny nation!

Luckily as I got older and a little wiser, I was able to see the divisive nature of the "let's have everything be fair and equitable" movement. It divided America and led to the situation we have today. I haven't finished his book but in the first few pages, I can see it is going to join my overflowing bookshelf as one of my new favorite books. My boys will be reading this as we head to our nation's capitol later this year. This is most certainly the year to teach them U.S. History.

I can't end this post without making a few comments on the Governor's race which is in full swing. I believe that leaders should almost be reluctant to serve. However, in light of the way Texas is working, I can't help but support Governor Perry as he runs again. Truth be told, I was quite disappointed in his "performance" at the first debate. He didn't seem passionate about running and only in the race to prevent big Washington, D.C. republican Kay Bailey Hutchison from taking over. I can't say if this is his only motivation to stay in office. But I am confident that Hutchison is not a true conservative and I don't like her tactics. Deborah Medina, the "tea party" republican really resonates with me on pure policy and straightforward answers—however, as a previous Perot voter, the last thing I want to do is vote for a candidate that ensures Hutchison wins. Until we have a better system, unfortunately, it's a two party choice.

Yes, I don't agree with the toll roads and the eminant domain issue that many Austinites find fault with in Governor Perry's policies. I'm not sure where I stand on his endorsement of vaccines for young girls to guard against HPV as I don't have enough information. But any government intrusion into personal decisions on how to raise children is usually not supported by me. However, I don't admire leaders based one or two decisions that I find fault with. The fact IS that Texas is doing something right! It is still (with few exceptions) a state where you don't feel the heavy hand of government intruding in your daily life.

To wrap up what has once again become another long post, Perry's speech today was flawlessly and emotionally delivered. In the culture war Americans are now aware of and engaged in fighting, he successfully illustrated how the ACLU's continuing attacks on our common core values, and the rise of moral relativism is threatening America's future. I commend him for having the courage to say so. I also commend him for admitting that leaders like himself are fallible and human but that he tries to live by the Scout motto every day.

I now believe we have the right Governor in office at the right time in Texas history. His message was clear. Scouting values are the essence of America. A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent. Ross Perot's foreword in the book states "Think what a greater country we would have if everyone lived the principles of Scouting every day. We would all be prepared, do our best to do our duty to God and Country, help other people at all times; and keep ourselves physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight." If anyone can find fault with a parent teaching their children those things, then our problems in this country are far larger than we are willing to admit.

Happy 100th Birthday Boy Scouts of America and thank you U.S. Supreme Court for recognizing the rights of the Scouts to operate with their values unaltered and intact.

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog entry, Natalie. You're a wonderful writer and I thoroughly enjoyed perusing your blog today! Look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you! Just learning—I'm much too lengthy and I digress all over the place—mommy ADHD but your compliment means the world to me! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete